In 2009, Macario Fernández Alonso Trueba founded MC VALNERA and ACADAR, arquitectura e ingeniería, after working 28 years in the port and coastal sectors. His objective is the development of these firms through the services offered to clients in the markets his ample professional career has allowed him to become acquainted with, particularly while in managerial positions in both the public and private sector.
Born in 1952, he is a Civil Engineer and has earned an MBA degree, with a specialization in Strategy and Finance, from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Since 2009 he has acted as a port strategy, planning, management and engineering consultant. Previously he has held the following positions:
- Chairman of the Port Authority of La Coruña, 2005 – 2009
- Director of Ports at Grupo Acciona, 2004 – 2005
- Director of the Port Authority of Santander, 1997 – 2004
- Director of Operations at Spanish Ports Authority (Puertos del Estado), 1996 – 1997
- Director of the Port Authority of Pasajes, 1994 – 1996
- Internal Consultant at Rail Bridge K‐Line America (New Jersey) 1992
- Other positions: Engineer at the Port Authority of Santander, Coast Demarcation Authority of Galicia and Roadway Demarcation Authority of Cantabria.
He is a professor in several postgraduate programmes and courses specializing in ports, transport and logistics at the University of La Coruña, the University of Cantabria, Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo and the Interamerican Courses of Spanish Ports Authority (Puertos del Estado) with the Organization of American States. Additionally, he has lectured at several conferences in Spain, Portugal, Australia, Panama, Mexico and Argentina.
Other positions held include President of the Technical Association of Ports and Coasts (since 2002), Vice President of PIANC (2009-2013).
Special appointments received: Honorary Vice President of PIANC and Fulbright Scholar